The following guide provides information about a historical disaster, a list of library resources and links to websites. To view the full list of library guides on significant disasters, go to the historical disasters index.
About the Granville Rail Disaster
At 6.09 am on 18 January 1977, a passenger train left Mt Victoria for Sydney. At 8.12 am it derailed whilst negotiating a left hand curve near Granville Railway Station and struck the Bold Street railway bridge. The bridge then collapsed on to the train crushing some of the carriages. Eighty-three people died and 210 were injured.
Granville Train Disaster (NSW Fire Brigades)
Granville Rail Disaster (Granville Historical Society)
Granville Rail Disaster (About NSW)
The following books and journal articles are available to library members on request. To find more resources in the library collection, download the Granville rail disaster bibliography or search the library catalogue.
- Brown, M 2002, Australia’s worst disasters, Lothian Books, South Melbourne.
- Disaster n.d., Southdown Press, Melbourne
- Granville train disaster: a review seminar 1977, Health Commission of New South Wales, n.p.
- Pearce, K 1999, Australian railway disasters, 2nd ed., IPL Books, Sydney.
- Railway disasters of the world: principal passenger accidents of the 20th century 1994, Patrick Stephens, Sparkford.
- Report on the formal investigation of an accident on or about the up main western line Granville on 18th January 1977 1977, New South Wales District Court, n.p.
- Carroll, B 1983, ‘Train crashes into bridge at Granville, 1977: great Australian disasters’, Be Aware, Issue 12, pp.4-5.
- Christopher, PJ & Selig, M 1978, ‘Medical aspects of the Granville rail disaster’, Medical Journal of Australia, Vol.2 No.12, pp.383-386.
- Down, S 1983, ‘A retrospective view of the Granville rail disaster’, The Australian Clinical Psychology, November, pp.33-39.
- Harriet, K 2002, ‘Granville train disaster: 25 years later’, Australian Police Journal, Vol.56 No.4, pp.264-265.
- Johnston, L 1998, ‘Grief on the line’, The Bulletin, Vol.117 No.6136, pp.64-65.
- Keavney, K, Balderston, D, Moffit, I, O’Grady, S, Armstrong, D, & Saw, R 1977, ‘Anatomy of a tragedy’, The Bulletin, Vol.99 No.5042, pp.16-25.
For more information, go to: