Media releases from the previous Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management are available from the National Library of Australia's Pandora Archive
- 26 January 2013 - Assistance for six more communities in Queensland
Additional assistance will be made available to six more flood-affected communities in north Queensland under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), Acting Commonwealth Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Jason Clare and the Queensland Minister for Police and Community Safety, Jack Dempsey announced today.
- 25 January 2013 - Further assistance for Far North Queensland
Further support will be made available for flood-affected communities in Far North Queensland under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), Acting Commonwealth Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Jason Clare and the Queensland Minister for Police and Community Safety, Jack Dempsey announced today.
- 23 January 2013 - Disaster assistance for Far North Queensland
Communities impacted by Tropical Cyclone Oswald will receive disaster assistance under the jointly funded Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
- 15 January 2013 - Six more natural disaster declarations for fire affected areas of NSW
Acting Premier Andrew Stoner, Minister for Police and Emergency Services Michael Gallacher and Federal Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon have today announced Natural Assistance will be made available in a further six Local Government Areas (LGAs) in NSW affected by bushfires - bringing the total number of LGAs eligible for assistance to 51.
- 15 January 2013 – Supporting our volunteers
Attorney-General Nicola Roxon today paid tribute to Mr Peter Cramer, the Victorian firefighter who sadly passed away while assisting the people of Tasmania recover from their recent fires.
- 11 January 2013 - Extra disaster assistance for Tasmanian communities
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) has been extended to residents in the District of Ellendale, Tasmania affected by the bushfire.
- 10 January 2013 - NSW Bushfires: Additional Natural Disaster Assistance
NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell and Federal Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon today announced Natural Disaster Assistance will be made available in a further eight Local Government Areas (LGAs) in NSW affected by bushfires – bringing the total number of LGAs eligible for assistance to 45.
- 10 January 2013 - Remembering Grantham and Toowoomba's flood victims
Today marks the second anniversary of the devastating floods which swept through Grantham and Toowoomba, Queensland, claiming lives and destroying houses.
- 7 January 2013 - Mobile service centre diverted to assist in Tasmanian fires
The Australian Government Mobile Service Centre has been diverted from the mainland to help people in fire-affected areas of south east Tasmania.
- 6 January 2013 - Federal financial assistance to help Tasmanians get back on their feet
Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments (AGDRP) are now available to residents in the southeast and east of Tasmania covering the affected Local Government Areas of Sorell, Tasman and Glamorgan-Spring Bay.
- 5 January 2013 - Support for Tasmanian bushfire victims
The Federal Government today announced that arrangements are being made to ensure that natural disaster assistance is available to help communities in south eastern Tasmania recover from the devastating bushfires that have hit the region.
- 3 January 2013 - Set to swelter - Be prepared
With a record heatwave set to send temperatures soaring across most of Australia over the next week, Australians are reminded to be prepared.
- 2 January 2013 - Assistance available after southern WA flooding
Commonwealth Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon and Western Australian Emergency Services Minister Troy Buswell today announced that natural disaster assistance will be available to help communities in southern Western Australia recover from recent heavy rainfall and subsequent flooding.
- 24 December 2012 - Think ahead and stay safe this summer
Australians are being asked to think ahead and stay safe this summer as the country gets ready for a well-earned break over Christmas and New Year.
- 21 December 2012 - World-first Emergency Alert to help prepare Sunbury and Macedon Ranges in an emergency
In a world first, Telstra customers in Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges will now receive text message warnings from the newly launched Emergency Alert location-based mobile warning system in the event of a disaster or emergency.
- 21 December 2012 - Eight natural disaster declarations for bush fires across NSW during recent months
Eight areas across New South Wales have been declared Natural Disasters following bush fires that occurred between August and October this year.
- 19 December 2012 - Teaching our kids to be prepared
Every year school kids and their families are affected by bushfires, storms, floods, cyclones and other disasters, that's why teaching disaster resilience in our schools helps kids cope in these difficult situations.
- 7 December 2012 – Firefighting fleet primed to protect Victoria this summer
Firefighting aircrane Elvis is in position at Essendon airport and ready to be deployed to protect Victorian lives and property this summer.
- 6 December 2012 - Resilient Australia Award winners announced
Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon today congratulated the winners of the 2012 Resilient Australia Awards.
- 30 November 2012 - Bushfire assistance for South Australia
Disaster assistance will be provided to South Australian communities hit by bushfires in November 2012 under the jointly funded Commonwealth and South Australian Government Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.
- 28 November 2012 - Emergency Alert test run on Capital Hill
Telstra customers on Capital Hill in Canberra today received a test text message warning from the newly launched world-first location-based mobile warning system, Emergency Alert.
- 19 November 2012 - National flood risk portal online
A new online one-stop-shop for flood risk information will be available from today to assist the community, planners and insurers to access important flood information about their local area.
- 15 November 2012 - $12 million boost to Victorian disaster resilience
Communities across Victoria will benefit from more than $12 million of local projects to improve preparedness for natural disasters, Commonwealth Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon and Victorian Deputy Premier and Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Peter Ryan announced today.
- 15 November 2012 - $2.6 million to boost natural disaster resilience across Tasmania
Communities across Tasmania will benefit from more than $2.6 million in funding to improve preparedness for natural disasters, the Commonwealth Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management, Nicola Roxon, and Tasmania’s Minister for Police and Emergency Management, David O’Byrne, announced today.
- 15 November 2012 - Telstra emergency texts alerts on the way for summer
The Gillard Government has invested in world-first technology which will allow emergency services to send location-based text messages to mobile phones when emergencies strike this summer.
- 14 November 2012 - Commonwealth response to Queensland floods inquiry
Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management Nicola Roxon announced that the Australian Government’s response to the Final Report of the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry was tabled today in the Parliament.
- 14 November 2012 - Wear Orange Wednesday - Think orange, thank orange, cheers to our SES
Today is Wear Orange Wednesday, a day for all Australians to wear orange in a united show of thanks for the tremendous work and commitment shown by our SES volunteers.
- 12 November 2012 - Think orange, thank orange, cheers to our SES
This week is SES Week - a chance for all Australians to say thank you to the great men and women of our State Emergency Services who volunteer day-in-day-out when we need them most.
- 8 November 2012 - First Aid education for migrants in South Australia
A new emergency management program will be delivered in South Australia by St John Ambulance to educate migrants on how to respond to emergency situations.
- 8 November 2012 – More than $6.7 million to boost disaster resilience in SA
Commonwealth Minister for Emergency Management, Nicola Roxon MP, and South Australian Minister for Emergency Services, Jennifer Rankine MP, today announced more than $6.7 million in grants to help the community prepare for natural disasters.
- 2 November 2012 - Supporting those who support others in times of need
Almost 250 organisations which provide crucial emergency response services to communities across the nation are among the recipients of the Australian Government's $16 million Volunteer Grants initiative announced today.
- 29 October 2012 - Spectrum for public safety agencies
Australia's police, fire, ambulance and emergency services will have greater access to effective communication channels during disasters following the announcement today that 10MHz of spectrum will be available to the States and Territories as a dedicated channel for emergency services.
- 19 October 2012 - $3.8 million in projects to help Australia get disaster ready
Planning ahead is the key to being disaster ready and that’s exactly what 29 National Emergency Management Program Projects worth $3.8million will do for communities around Australia.
- 16 October 2012 - Attorney-General inspects progress of the Launceston flood levee
Attorney-General and Minister for Emergency Management, Nicola Roxon and Member for Bass, Geoff Lyons today toured the site of the Launceston Flood Levee project and received an update from the local Council on the progress of the project.
- 12 October 2012 - Role of women critical in disaster resilience
Women and girls are being recognised as the unsung heroes of local communities in preparing for, and recovering from disasters on this year's International Day for Disaster Reduction.
- 12 October 2012 - End date approaches for southern NSW flood payments
People affected by major flooding this year in the Forbes and Central Darling Local Government Areas have until Thursday, 25 October 2012 to lodge a claim for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.